Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Day #2

This post is from Jake because he has a lot of fun memories with our day #2!

In the late 80s or early 90s my parents took our family to NYC for a vacation. We went to a Met's game and of course we visited the Statue of Liberty. I remember standing in the long line waiting to get on the ferry and while on the ferry looking back and seeing the NY skyline with World Trade Centers. Back then there were no security check points and screeners. No cops or National Guards men with m-16s. All that were present were park rangers, millions of people and seagulls. I remember standing in the long line waiting to get inside the statue and climb the billion stairs to the top. I remember my younger brother crying while we were standing on the spiral staircase inside the statue. I remember looking out the windows located in the crown of Miss Liberty and my father pointing at the many boats while my mother was telling us the history of the Statue of Liberty.
 
This past Saturday, Emily and I went and it was a different experience. Security check points, National Guards men with m-16s, NY cops and Park Rangers wandering all over the park. The NY skyline without the Trade Centers and hardly any boats in the water. The line was fairly small and we had a guided tour inside the pedestal of the monument. Instead of climbing the billion stairs to the top it was only 156 steps to the base of the monument where were get to look up the skirt through a glass window. There was a posted sign stating the park does not intend to open the spiral staircase that leads to the top, to public again. I stood there silently thanking my parents for allowing us at such a young age to visit the statue and see the skyline from the crown. 
Looking back at Manhattan.
The Statue of Liberty - I know some pretty good random facts now!
The sad sign of closure. 
This is the original torch - it was removed and replaced with one that is covered in a fine sheet of gold.
Looking up Lady Liberty's Dress! Believe it or not but the inside steel braces is a miniature Eiffel Tower. Yes, it's designed by the builder of the tower in France.
It was extremely windy up there!

1 comment:

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

That truly makes me want to cry that they aren't ever going to reopen the Statue of Liberty to go up to the top. It's sad what this country has come to. Thanks for the memories!