Monday, May 5, 2008

Bike Race 2008

So have you ever thought it would be a good idea to not work out for weeks and then get on a bike and ride 10.9 miles up and down hills? I would strongly urge you to at least hit the gym once before you try it. However, if it's Corporate Challenge AND it only happens once a year AND you've done it before...Heck, why not?! So we rounded up the crew and this is what our conference room turned out to look like:
I think there was more money in bikes here that if the building caught on fire - these would be more important then anything else! Especially my boss's bike (some people buy cars- he bought a bike of equal value)! These bikes are from his collection.
This little Betsy only failed me twice. The chain came off because I tried to shift too fast and there was no recovery but a lesson well learned. A funny side note: there is a timer and distance counter on it and I thought the race was 12 miles, so at mile 10 I said to some strange girl that was riding next to me, "only 2 more to go!" Then we turned the corner and finished!! So much for the 2 more! Hope she didn't think I was trying to fool her!

This is Jaimie on Harry's bike. Yep, Harry rode this for 10.9 miles straight and didn't stop. He rode it last year and at the finish they were all clapping for him. He actually does really well! And no, you can't go buy this in the store - he built (or pieced) it from scratch himself. Jaimie kicked trash and took 1st in her age group! 

This is me finally home for the night. I would take a picture in my killer spandex padded shorts but that would hurt your eyes! Spandex expands!! I took 4th in my age group (probably out of 4 but they don't tell you that!)

6 comments:

Karla and Mike said...

Hey, coming in 4th out of 4 is still an accomplishment, because you actually came in! A finish is a victory. Congratulations. This proves you aren't getting older, you are getting better!
Karla

Hibbard Family said...

Emiy I'm so glad we found each other! It'll be nice to keep up on each other's lives! What area of town do you live?

Josh and Jay said...

Good blog!! Would you ever spend that much on a bike? Hmmm...I'd rather have a car! Jake did you at least get to see her in her spandex pants????

Jacob and Emily said...

Jake said that I stunk and wasn't so interested in my spandex pants... I don't blame him!!

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

That's awesome! I wouldn't even ATTEMPT to get on a bike let alone ride one for over 10 miles! You are my hero!!!

Andrew and Sara said...

So did you beat the girl you fooled with the whole "EXTRA 2 MILES" thing?? Tricky, Tricky....And did you put your own chain back on? Becuase i would have to quit the race because i wouldn't know how---