Saturday, November 15, 2008

Why I'm Not a Vet


Valiant, Arthur, and my dad

I have a new respect for my sister in-law, Megan. Megan is a vet at a pet hospital. She has a lot of letters after her name...I'm not exactly sure what her real job title is. Either way, I could never do her job and this is why...
My dad left behind two Britney Spaniel dogs. They were his hunting dogs. They both are boys. One named Valiant and one named Arthur. He paid a good wad of cash to have full bread, papered, AKC registered, trained dogs. The problem: he wouldn't get them neutered. I think it he thought they would be less of a dog or something. I don't know. So twice a year (normally around mating season) they became territorial. Valiant always had to dominate. Anyway, last Monday, Linda called freaking out and said the dogs were in a big fight and needed to have Jake come and separate them. The problem: We were at UNLV and 45 min. away with no traffic. So Jake went. By time he got there Valiant had Arthur pinned in the corner of his cage. Blood every where. So Jake separated them loaded Arthur up in the truck and went to the vet. Linda had already made an appointment earlier that day to have them neutered on Wednesday. They came back picked up Valiant and took him in. The outcome: Both dogs neutered and Arthur had a tube in his leg to drain out fluid and prevent infection. To let them recover without fights we took Arthur in. He's a good dog. Probably better because he's on drugs! Our job was to clean the area where the tube stuck out. One at the top of his leg and one at the bottom. It was gross. Then we had to squirt some sort of tea-colored liquid behind it! He didn't like it. On Friday he went back in and had the tube removed but now we still have to squirt and clean. For not having a major part of his manhood and being beat up...he's doing pretty good. I'm not sure I could do this as a profession. Jake can't. He nearly passed out on the first day of cleaning. It was pretty gross. So I give Megan a gold star, pat on the back, and more respect for having to deal with things like this everyday! 

7 comments:

Amber said...

Hi Emily! Hey thanks for finding me and for commenting on my blog! It's always good to hear from old friends! You and your cute hubby seem to have lots of fun and laughs together! I'm so sorry about your dad and I hope that you are dealing with his loss the best you can.
Let's keep in touch...if you don't mind I'll add you to my friends list!
Talk to you later!
Amber (McCombs) Johnson

Karla and Mike said...

Oh Emily....it is all a matter of perspective. I know for a fact that Megan would take sick and bleeding dogs any day of the week over surly juvenile delinquent criminal-types. Many of us can't understand why you are drawn to the criminal justice field. I guess it is a good thing that people like different things so there is someone to do each job!
Good luck with the dogs. Hopefully you won't have to deal with any more fights and gore. Yuck. That truly doesn't sound like something Jacob would like....
Karla

Amy said...

Hey Emily,
First of all Happy Birthday!! I hope your day was great. I really need to call you and talk. I am so sorry your dad pasted away. I didn't know him too well, but knowing he raised a good person like you says a ton about him. It's amazing how simply a loved one can be taken from us. We are truly blessed to have the gospel in our lives. We know what his plan is. We don't always know when things will happen, but we know we can see our loved ones again. Emily, hang in there. I love you tons!!

Amy

Busy Mamma said...

Woah! I'm impressed Jake didn't pass out! Crazy having ANOTHER dog in your house! How are Belle, Buster, and Sage dealing with that?

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Love you guys!

Mandy Frehner said...

Hey, happy birthday! I always remember that you and Britney are Nov. girls too! Yeah, I don't think I could be a vet. I nursed a puppy back to health from having Parvo. I had to give him an IV and everything. I was about more than I could take! Good luck with the dog:)

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

I could NEVER have been a vet. YIKES! It's bad enough taking care of a baby or toddler. :) Good luck!

Shanae said...

You are a good woman to take him in and take care of him. You always have been good in a crisis situation...hang in there!