Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My dad. My Hero.

On Thursday, October 30, I boarded a plane to Eugene, Oregon at 12:30 p.m. The plane landed safely and Jake was waiting to pick me up outside. I turned on my phone and it rang immediately. It was Jake. I was right in the middle of grabbing my bags from the over-head compartments and told him I would be right out. As soon as I hung up, my phone did the little ring that means you missed 13 calls. Then it started ringing again. It was my sister. I answered it. The conversation went something on these lines: 
Mandy: "Did you hear?"
Me: "No, what's up?"
Mandy: "Around 4:00 p.m. Pennsylvania time (1:00 p.m. Nevada time) Dad had a massive heart attack and passed away."
My phone volume was so loud that the guy in front of me turned around. I didn't notice anyone or anything else around me from leaving the aisle way on the plane to meeting Jacob in the front. I was numb. It didn't seem real. It hadn't set in. In my mind I kept thinking this was a dream or a test. A test to see how I would react. It wasn't. After making a million phone calls, Jake and I drove to Portland, flew to Chicago, and then flew to Pennsylvania. I'm tired of flying! So this is what happened: 
My dad was at his cabin with his cousin John. They had plans to go put up his hunting nest in some tree Thursday evening so they could hunt all day Friday and Saturday. He wasn't feeling good but insisted on getting it done. Originally he thought he had indigestion or heart burn. He took a Rolaid. Then he thought it was his gallbladder. John told him to rest. He was stubborn. He put on his boots and went out the door. John followed. As they were walking about 100 yards from the cabin my dad asked to stop and rest for a moment. John knew something was wrong. So when they stopped, my dad bent his knees to sit against the hill and continued to roll all the way back. He died immediately. John called 911 and performed CPR. The paramedics came immediately and took over. Nothing improved. He flat lined.
We were able to go to the place where he died. It was peaceful. It was beautiful. I couldn't imagine a better place to go. He was with the people he loved. He was in a place he loved. He was doing what he loved, hunting. It was so quick, we assume he didn't suffer. Although I don't want to face the fact that he's really gone, I know he is. Gone for a time. He was my dad. I love him and he knew it. I have no regrets. The last time I saw him I gave him a big hug and he told me he was proud of me. He came to soccer games. We went to Disneyland when I graduated high school. We went to the Dale Evans and Roy Rogers museum. He walked me down the aisle when I got married. We worked together. He took me to college and filled my refrigerator. He always encouraged me. He loved my husband. He counseled us. We knew everything. He was smart, educated, and had so much experience. He was funny. We joked and laughed. He taught us to be kind, loving, and giving. Oh, how I could go on. I know we will be together again. It just doesn't seem real.

6 comments:

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

I'm sorry Em! I can't begin to know how you are feeling but know that you and your family have been in my prayers since I read about this on your sister's blog. If you need anything, let me know ok? *HUGS*

Melinda said...

Hi Emily,
I check in on your blog from time to time to keep up on the family we don't know so well. I am so saddened to hear about your dad. When I think about my dad passing away, I cry...just at the thought. I hope you can continue to feel some peace during this time.

Anonymous said...

You guys are in my prayers. Love you girl.

Melissa said...

Emily,
I'm so sorry about your dad. I remember him always having a big smile and a great sense of humor, maybe that's where you got it. I can't imagine what it must be like for you, you're in my prayers. Your right, he is only gone for a time and he is in a place of unimaginable peace and love with loved ones who have gone before him. If you need anything let me know, seriously anything. love you.

Mandy Frehner said...

Emily- my heart sank when I read this. I am sorry for your loss. I just spent the whole day with my dad, this makes me appreciate him even more. You have wonderful memories and a beautiful and true perspective on things. Not many people can say they have no regrets about their relationship with their father - that is such a blessing.
You are in my prayers!

Busy Mamma said...

OH Em! I love you guys soo much and I'm so impressed with your strength and faith!