Monday, February 25, 2008

Butterflies

This evening when we were at the library I was people watching. There are always a million people at the library, so the chances that you run into the same person is pretty slim. However, when you go at the same time to the same area, you get to know those around you. Not a personal one on one but they have their seats and we have ours. Tonight as I was sitting there I saw a study group sitting at a table that normally would seat 4. There was one guy on the end who I could tell wasn't participating in this group but was there with someone. I didn't think twice about this until he reached over and held this girls hand. The quick glance back at him made me realize that this either A) hasn't ever happened or B) doesn't happen to often. They weren't being obvious to the other people in the group. It was almost being done in secret. There hands were blocked by lap tops, purses, books, and drinks to everyone else. From my angle I could see what was happening clear as day. I began remembering back when Jake and I first started dating and the simplest things like holding hands (in public especially), him holding the door open for me, and even kisses at the door would give me butterflies. It's hard to pin point the last time I felt that but I know it hasn't been too long. I always wonder why that exact feeling passes with time. Something so powerful, something so moving is so short lived. Lastly, when you've been married for 10, 20, or even 50 years what gives you those butterfly feelings?

3 comments:

Paige said...

Sad, huh? When you figure out the answer, let me know!

Anonymous said...

THis is something I have thought about also. It makes me sad and happy at the same time to think that I will never have that first kiss, holding hands feeling again. Sad because it was such an exciting feeling, but happy to know I know the one I am with will not just be temporary. However, you get to have those first feelings in different ways, like when your child says, "I love you," for the first time, that are just as special.

Anonymous said...

Or when you go through trials that strengthen your love for each other, it is almost like starting over again. I've had those butterflies more times in the last 2 months than I have for the last 10 years I think. The bald head brought butterflies!!

Your blog is fun to read. Some of the aunts said, at one point that you and I look a lot alike. I have to admit I see a lot of similarities. What do you think?