Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bernina, Buddies, Veggies, and Work!

~Bernina~
OOHH YEAH! It's up and running! In fact it has completed an entire project too! Many many more to come. I finally signed up for a Bernina class this last week. We made this scissor/pencil/what ever you want it to be bag. Surprisingly it was easy and fun. Plus I learned how to use a couple features I didn't know about. I'm very impressed. My skills are lacking but soon will be perfected!

~Buddies~
The other day we were sitting outside and our dogs were being pretty playful. I think with the nice weather the dogs like to be outside more. And since we're not super exciting with funny stories of our kids . . . we've made up for it with dogs!
Self portrait - again!
The grass is extremely green! It almost looks fake.

~Veggies!~
I know, I know, enough already about the blasted peas. But it's pretty exciting to see some results of planting a big huge row of seeds. Probably because every attempt made in Vegas was dead by late spring. We're still waiting on the beans, carrots and potatoes but the brussel sprouts, zucchini, and peppers are poking through. All in good time.


~Work~
It's really hard to explain what it is about Juvenile Delinquents that is so appealing to work with. They are normally repeat offenders, filter through the system, and/or totally misled. Many lack stability, structure or direction in their life. This makes Detention more appealing because they have a roof over their head, a place to sleep, 3 meals, warmth in the winter, a/c in the summer, and nobody will take their stuff (along with amazing Probation Officers and staff to talk to). I'm not justifying anyone's action, in fact they pretty much deserve what they get. However, there are three things that I've come to enjoy.
  • One, during diversion kids are sometimes instructed to write apology letters. We have them read them aloud (especially if they are to a family member who is present). Many kid become emotional when reading their letter. I'm not taking joy in them crying. I enjoy seeing this punk kid actually show heart felt emotion especially towards his family. He may never have told them how he felt. But maybe he has.
  • Two, I was releasing a kid from the Detention Center to his family. He had served quite some time and hadn't had much contact with his family. When he saw his parents, girlfriend, and son (yep he has a 2 yr. old) a plane could have crashed 500 yards away and not one person would have noticed. It was almost like a missionary returning. Everyone was waiting for that moment for a long time. Whether we see him in the system again or not, that one moment was pretty happy. 
  • Three, sitting down and talking to them without their thug buddies around. Most of their families aren't around to listen or talk, so they will sit and talk to you forever. They will tell you almost everything. Some kids are so stinkin' smart you wonder why they are wasting away making dumb choices. My sister in-law had told me about how a kid reacted when she gave him a cookie. I never knew how much a cookie could change someone's attitude. You would think it was Christmas.
I didn't pick a heroic profession but there are times when you feel like you may make a small difference. 

Okay, I'm off to bed.
Life is good. 

7 comments:

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

Sounds like life is definitely good for you. I'm SO jealous of your garden and that gorgeous green grass. It totally looks fake it's so green! your job sounds interesting. I would have a hard time with punk delinquents but you seem to handle them well. :)

Paige said...

I admire people like you who can work with the juvies and see past their dumbness and help them out. I am happy that you are in our family so you can counsel any delinquents that may belong to me. :) And I love your little sewing machine and project. Wanna make the rest of Jillise's dress for me?

Tommy Harris said...

I'm really thinking of taking a class myself... Now all I'll need is to buy a sewing machine and some fabric and have the need for a purse... Send me one!!!

Mandy and Alex said...

I'm going to need a partial winter-coat for my puppy next winter. I have the design all thought out and everything. It should keep him warm but still allow him to do his business. Will your Ballerina-thingy make something like that?

Mandy Frehner said...

I think it's awesome that you work with kids like that.I bet you are making a difference with them. I think I lot of people's issue boil down to a crappy home life and wanting a little attention.
I love your grass and garden and sewing machine. Jealous of all three!

Busy Mamma said...

Em!! I love that you are sewing!! Are you going to make me some cute baby clothes or a blanket or something? :-)

Mama Harris said...

I think that the last thing that I sewed was a nightgown for Mandy when she was about 4 or 5 years old!!

Before we left Indiana we realized that some things just wouldn't come with us. So I gave my sewing machine and cabinet to your Aunt Amy. It was a great little sewing machine that had belonged originally to my mom, your grandma.

I'm thinking of getting a serger. I've been thinking of repairing my lawn chairs that have fallen apart from the sun and heat of Las Vegas!

I love your green grass...!!!

I am sooo impressed that you are enjoying your job and still taking the time out to make a difference with your friends and your family!