Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Latest

Still no camera, that means there are no pictures. I'm not sure what pictues I would post anyway, but it seems that when you have a camera you always have a reason to take a picture. Well, my latest and greatest activity is...bike riding. I'm addicted. I'm in a groove and it's not as bad as I thought. I ride to work and it only takes me 15 mins., it's down hill, and a straight shot. At 6:30 a.m. it's not too hot either. Lately it's just been a little humid. The ride home is a little more abrassive. At 5:00 p.m. going up hill I feel like I get a great work out in. I haven't busted out my spandex shorts yet (with padding in the bum), but if my butt doesn't stop hurting from the seat...I just might have to. The best part - I'm saving $120-$160 a month for not having to pay gas! But wait theres more! I car pool to school and bus it back to work! YES I RIDE THE BUS! It's actually really fun. The people are super nice and it is almost quicker then driving. It only takes 5 mins. longer. I never in a million years thought that I would ever ride the bus (although I always really wanted to)! The down fall - the bus drivers are a little snooty...but I can deal with that.

We have officially picked a place to live. Eugene, Oregon area. It is 2 hours south of Portland, about an hour away from the beach, and about an hour away from snowboarding. Unfortunately we'll be about 15 hours away from the Harris family but on good days we can fly home for $29. We'll be closer to the Brashear's. It's green. It does rain but not all day like I imagined. We'll be making the trek up in early January (whenever the pass opens). Now the hunt is on for employment and housing! This move was strongly inforced when the State of Nevada did major budget cuts. One of the cuts was the Corrections Area. That means less jobs available. It's just another excuse for us to leave!

Well, that's our life in a nut shell.

12 comments:

Paige said...

Yay!!! And you'll fit right in biking and riding the bus in Eugene. Lots of hippies there. :) Brian was in Eugene yesterday. He'll be back today, and going back on Friday -- doing presentations to school districts for work. I'm so excited that you'll be closer! Let me know what I can do to help. And my friend Jodi is from there, so I can ask her about neighborhoods, etc.

Mandy and Alex said...

Yea for the bus! It's hard to convince people that the bus really isn't that bad, especially when they equate taking mass transit with poverty and inconvenience. There was only one time that I was upset with the bus system and that's when the driver skipped my spot altogether and I had to walk 2 miles home. I finally got home at 1 am and it was in January when it was really, really cold.

As for Eugene, I think you'll like it a lot. Especially, since your speciality is in juvenile justice-Eugene has one of the largest Ku Klux Klan and skin-head/aryan race populations in all of the country.

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

wow! It's sad that you are leaving but I bet it will so awesome living there. So much prettier than here...I might have to come visit! LOL just kidding. Good luck finding a house and good jobs.

Jacob and Emily said...

I just did a paper on Skin-heads, the aryan nation, and the black panthers. They are interesting groups that's for sure. The aryan nation used to be based out of Portland but they did move south! Jake looks white - so we'll be okay. He just can't pull the "indian" discounts as much! Paige we'll definately need some info. on the good parts of Eugene. As soon as we get establish anyone that needs a get-away is free to stay!

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily! So you are finally getting out of Vegas. Hooray! Too bad Reno doesn't work for you guys. We love it here. But, you will be fine wherever you live. Look at you going Green and all. Saving gas money is such a good incentive though. I wish I liked to ride bikes. It hurts my but too bad.

Beth and Shae said...

We are excited you are moving to our neck of the woods! Eugene is only abot 2 hours from us too! Let us know when you come up so we can visit. If you need anything let us know too! Good luck with the job and house hunt.

Busy Mamma said...

I know, right!! I hate my comp! I looked at a mac, but they are BLOODY EXPENSIVE!! I don't know what i'm going to do! :-(

*CaRoLyN* said...

Yeaa! I love being stalked!! How are ya?!

Hibbard Family said...

Good for you on biking and riding, I can't believe its saving you so much money in gas! Plus you get a great work-out :) You must be so excited to move to green pastures.... keep us posted!

*~*~* said...

This blog was formed to allow fellow Basic High class of 2000 alumni to see what everyone is up to! We would like to get as many of the class on here as possible, so if you know anyone who has a blog and would be interested, please tell them to visit this blog. To be added to the list, just leave a comment to this post and leave a maiden name if applicable. We hope this will be a fun resource for everyone!

Jaden and Stacy said...

I am happy for you that y'all found a place to live. That will be a new adventure. I sure hope that you love it when you get there. The pictures that you have farther down on your blog I have looked at before and it didn't notice the goonies house. Mindy told me i have to look so I could see it. Austin, her son, loves that movie so we have been watching it a lot lately. So it was kind of fun to see that. anyways... it was good to hear that you found a place. good luck!

Shanae said...

Busing and biking-huh? That's why I love you it's always something new! When are you going to come see us? Remember October 18th we'll be in Mesquite-see you then!