Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Search Is On

Well with nothing else to do at work today, I started the official "career" search. I wasn't planning this until September but it doesn't hurt to start looking now. On top of that, every time we make plans to move somewhere or pick a school to attend, it falls through. Sometimes I pretend that we'll be moving somewhere where I don't want to be just so it doesn't happen! Moving is the great debate in our house right now. I want to move north, Jake wants to move east. Because I graduated first, I get to pick the place where we live. There are conditions though. The conditions are:
1) it has to have a grad school close - a decent one.
2) a law school - just in case!
3) Four seasons
4) it needs to be close to a ocean/lake/river but close enough for me to snowboard during the winter.
5) a yard for my dogs - this scratches out New York City :)
6) a place where there won't be a street light shinning in my window!
7) a place where we can actually see stars!

So this cancels out Las Vegas, Reno (UNLV has the only law school in Nevada), most of Arizona (even though our property is there), I don't want to afford California, and I wouldn't last in Utah. So Oregon!! Washington!! Colorado!! Those are my three picks. I don't really want to live in a big city either, maybe something on the out-skirts. Even with all of my wants, I will saturate the market with my resume and pick from what I'm offered. After a couple of years living where I want and Jake gets settled in his career - I guess we'll move to where he wants! BUT we'll see! Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Mandy Frehner said...

Good luck! There is something super exciting about having the opportunity to move before you have totally rooted yourself somewhere. (I think those are all great criteria)
What are you studying in school?

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

I don't know if there is a grad school or not, but there is a nice place that has all your other criteria! Montrose, Colorado. My uncle and aunt have lived there forever and raised their 8 kids there. Everytime we have gone up there we don't want to leave. It's super nice and the people are great. It's by Teluride, CO too which has great skiing and snowboarding. :) Anyway, just a place that I like and it was in one of the states you ok'd! LOL

Karla and Mike said...

I can't imagine why Jake wants to move East, unless he is looking to live in the Heartland where more people are conservatives. However, you won't get much skiing done in Kansas or Iowa. And besides, the weather stinks back there. But what can I say, I have lived all over, and I found that you can come to love just about anywhere you live, with the exception, maybe, of Las Vegas! You have been working on that one for years. It sounds really fun to be able to choose where you want to go. Just do your research.
Mom

Jacob and Emily said...

I'm studying Criminal Justice - it's pretty much the degree that you pick if you suck at math and can't be an accountant or engineer, you suck in science so you can't be a doctor or nurse, and you want to make 5 times the amount teachers get paid! I recommend it! Plus I will always have a job as long as there are stupid criminals in the world.

I would love to move to Colorado! My brother lived outside of Veil and my aunt's lived there forever. I loved visiting them too! I hope that when he moves back I'll be able to go there more. Colorado is just a beautiful state in general.

I'm not sure where Jake's love of the east came from. Maybe it's the drab of Nevada, the cookie cutter houses, and the brown that is EVERYWHERE! I'm definitely doing my research but the sad part is that I have to look for crime so I can have a job! hahahaha!

Mandy and Alex said...

It sounds like you want to live with ME! We fit all the criteria.

1. Kansas has 17 grad schools.
2. You could attend KU, Washburn, or Presidents Law school.
3. We've got all the seasons.
4. There are lakes, ponds, creeks, streams, and rivers all over. And you're as close to New Mexico and Colorado for skiing as you are now to SLC.
5. Yards are a standard out here, not an amenity.
6. My neighborhood has 3 street lights and I can't see a single one from my bedroom or my backyard.
7. I stare at the stars almost every night from my back yard.
8. Bonus for Jake-Kansas is the heart of the country and as conservative as they come.
9. The house across the street and next door is for sale. :)

Hibbard Family said...

Colorado sounds nice, I've always thought it'd be a nice place to raise a family. I'm so jealous about your NYC trip! It looks like you guys had a blast and saw some really cool things!

Beth and Shae said...

Oregon is our vote for sure. We are in Southern Oregon which is beautiful, with four seasons (not all the rain that Portland gets). In fact Grants Pass has a sign over down town that says "It's the Climate" I don't really get it but it is a nice climate. We would love to have more friends close by. So this is my invitation to come and check it out!!!

Emily Cole said...

Uh... North Carolina is good too! We've got lots of grad schools, a couple of law schools... nice neighborhoods, but there's crime too (take a look at Durham - Yikes!) There are great mountains and beautiful sandy beaches... But then again... it's in the dreaded east! Why is the east dreaded? (I guess I'm just a little partial to my home state...) I hope you find something that fits you guys!